Friday 10 January 2014

Nails for the vamp in me

I did promise something for my vampy readers and here it is today, winter purples to fight against those winter blues.



Now these three are not all my favourites and none of them were released this season. Two are gorgeous, but one really didn't live up to expectations. Deep purple nails to me are always a little bit sexy, perhaps even more so than the classic reds. They have more depth, and there's something awfully yummy about a rich deep purple, kinda like Cadbury chocolate (bear with me...honest)

From right to left: NARS, Chanel, and Estee Lauder

And this brings me to the first of my three; NARS Purple Rain. This is a seriously delicious colour, rich and shimmery with a good colour impact. Compare it to Cadbury Dairy Milk wrappers and I swear you'll never find anything as close (except for one of the Colour RicheI have yet to try from L'Oreal, so I'm told). The formula is good, but the brush tiny and left my finish a bit streaky until it was topcoated, even with two coats.

Next up the Chanel. This is Vendetta, and I fell in love with it, or rather I fell in love with the bottle colour... I wanted this to be a really dark purple with rich purple and deep blue shimmer, as it looked under glass. My disappointment came when yes it was that deep dark purple I lusted for, and that was it. It fell flat, even with all my top coat efforts it just didn't have that little something extra I had expected. Don't get me wrong,  I'm sure there are those out there who would love that simple dark purple and there are plenty of good ones out there, but my expectations did not match my results here's and that is where the fault lies. Formula is good, as you'd expect from Chanel, and the brush thicker than the NARS but still there were streaking problems that I relied on my top coat to fix.

Last but definitely not least is a surprise offering from Estee Lauder. Typically I tend to brush past the Estee Lauder counter, thinking it more...mature than I would usually invest in but this little beauty caught my eye last Christmas. Smashed, (so not the name I expected from EL!) is an almost grape jelly like colour packed out with multilayered pinky purple micro-glitter. The result catches every light and sparkles without being too in your face, and none of that nasty heavy glitter removal issue (foil is the way forward I say). A really good evening colour, or even if you're just looking for a polish to match those pretty plum lips I'm seeing popping up this winter. Only problem was that it can be a little runny, but the brush is the widest of all three and it is easy enough to build this colour until you reach the desired result.

All polishes were painted with 2 coats and an Orly clear topcoat.

What are your thoughts? Will you be rocking out in deep purple? Or is this a purely nighttime look for those of you out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment